Roll Laminating Basic types, Hot & Cold (Heat-Assist)
There are a couple types of roll laminator. Here we discuss the various options.
• Thermal (Hot) laminates are low cost compared to Pressure-Sensitive (Cold).
• Thermal laminates should only be used on paper graphics for indoor use.
• Wide-format inkjet is fragile and requires copolymer lowmelt thermal film.
• Thermal laminating is usually 2-sided (encapsulation) using PET film.
• Single-side thermal laminating requires a laminator with a De-Curl device and specialty films such as OPP or Nylon.
• Outdoor graphics & signs should be printed on vinyl and laminated Cold.
• Most Cold laminates contain additional UV protection for outdoor use.
• Cold laminating is usually single-side only.
• Heat-Assist is Cold laminating using low heat to a maximum of 40C/120F.
• Heat-assist is only recommended on thicker and more rigid type laminates.